Bruxism is a very common condition that refers to the grinding and/or clenching of teeth either at night or during the day. In fact, it is so common that 30-40 million individuals suffer from it in the United States alone. There are some people that suffer from bruxism and are not even aware of it because they do it at night while they sleep. This is called nocturnal or sleep-related bruxism. Luckily, there are treatments available if you suffer from bruxism and there are many ways to go about preventing it.
Here at Barbara Vondergoltz Flesch, DDS in Houston, Texas, we understand how frustrating bruxism and its uncomfortable side effects can be. That is why our dentist, Dr. Barbara Flesch, is here to help! If you suffer from any of the following symptoms, come in to see us today so that we can figure out if treatment would be right for you.
The symptoms of bruxism are:
– Rhythmic contractions of jaw muscles
– Dull morning headaches
– Jaw muscles that are consistently tight or painful.
– Painful jaw joint
– Damaged teeth, broken dental fillings, or injured gums with no known cause
– A grinding sound at night that may disturb the sleep of another who shares the room with you
– Occasional swelling on the side of your jaw (this is typically caused by clenching.
If left untreated, bruxism can erode tooth enamel and leave your teeth more vulnerable. If you suspect that you may suffer from bruxism and you suffer from any of the above symptoms, we encourage you to call us today at 713-789-7913 to schedule an appointment. We are here to help you find solutions to all your oral ailments and to aid you in maintaining good oral health